Monday, November 18, 2019

for you, when you realize

hearts beat faster than we're breathing, I suspect
I couldn't really hear them, 
but I could hear our knees tapping
against the hard plastic of lawn chairs
our eyes meet and it's a contest,
I'm drowning in a sea of broken, glassy green,
begging to be held, 
I know I'm seen,
what are we waiting for? I wonder,
willing to wait, willing to wish away 
wish away all the dew on the grass
all the foggy mornings and late-night-cheese-fries,
until we can be together and I can breathe,
breathe like my heart underwater 
like my brain on jupiter,
every inhale for me,
every exhale for us,
one-two, I think, one-two,
and I can feel our knees touching purposelessly,
folding into one another like gravity,
we can't help it,
they're trying to stop us,
mosquitoes swarming for a drop of sweet blood
hot blood pumping through me, 
iron singing to both of us,
we have no defenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment